Sago Palm poisoning in pets



Sago palms are naturally found as outdoor ornamental plants in warm climates. While all parts of the plant are toxic to pets, including the roots, the seeds are the most toxic. The sago palm contains a toxic chemical called cycasin, which causes liver damage. Ingestion results in acute gastrointestinal signs within 15 minutes to several hours after ingestion. Central nervous system signs and severe liver failure can be seen within 2-3 days post-ingestion. After the patient develops symptoms of liver involvement, the survival rate is only about 50%.

Symptoms

If your dog or cat ingests any part of a sago palm, drooling, vomiting, black-tarry stool, lethargy, Inappetence, increased thirst and urination, bruising and bleeding, and yellow coloration of the gums and skin are all possible symptoms. Some dogs may exhibit neurological symptoms like seizures or paralysis, circling, or depression. If you think that your pet has eaten ANY part of a Sago Palm, no matter what quantity, you need to seek emergency veterinary treatment immediately.


Sago palm seeds

Featured Posts
Follow Us

Tria Gefiria | Corfu

The Animal Clinic - Ιατρείο Μικρών Ζώων

Τρία Γεφύρια, 49100, Κέρκυρα

Τηλ. 26610 22611

animalclinicvets@gmail.com

ΩΡΑΡΙΟ ΛΕΙΤΟΥΡΓΙΑΣ

ΔΕΥΤΕΡΑ   10.00 - 14.00 & 17.00 - 19.30
ΤΡΙΤΗ   10.00 - 16.00
ΤΕΤΑΡΤΗ   10.00 - 14.00

ΠΕΜΠΤΗ   10.00 - 16.00

ΠΑΡΑΣΚΕΥΗ   10.00 - 14.00 & 17.00 - 19.30

ΣΑΒΒΑΤΟ  10.00 - 14.00

ΒΡΕΙΤΕ ΜΑΣ ΣΤΟ ΧΑΡΤΗ

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • The Animal Clinic Corfu

The Animal Clinic 2021. All rights reserved.

Πολιτική Απορρήτου & Συμμόρφωση GDPR